Friday 1 February 2013

THE DOOMED YOUTH OF OUR TIME!

Gone are the days when some speeches were hard to be spoken. Gone are the days when some deeds were rare among the youth.

Indeed, we are living in a different world now. I live in a typical Ga community. With this aricle, I am not basing on only Gas but the youth of today in general, because "it is better nowhere". I came out of my room last week Friday at 11:47 p.m to buy some food after studying. It is about a mile from where I live to the main town and I normally walk. The "miracles" I saw were interesting to the extent that, I strolled for two good hours on the streets.

 After walking for about ten minutes, there was nothing good I saw or heard. If not "Oles3k3 ni w) ye" (do you know mad we are), it will be "Ony3" (your mother). What surprised me most was when I crossed a gutter and heard a girl of about five years say to the other, "Onye onu" and the other girl responded likewise. Two minutes later, I saw one boy of not more than 17 years having a dance with a girl of his age in a busy drinking spot where I intentionally entered to buy water which later turned into deep hugs and exchange of kisses. I crept slowly out of the place when a man saw me and asked if I needed "some drugs or a lady"? 

I quickly told him I bought some from the first joint, judging from how he approached me with convincive steps and that deceptive appearnce, he deduced it was one of the alternatives that brought me. He told me to pass-by for enjoyment anytime. 

I saw youngsters at age 17 - 22 (at most), hovering on the streets and exposing their illuminated sexual contours to attract "buyers" - how pathetic.

You would not believe my next picture I disclose but trust me, it was real. Fridays' like today, they really enjoy themselves so much. I saw women boozing under a gathering and both the young and old dificating under a bridge at another junction. So I asked myself; what do these people think they are doing? My question was later answered by an intoxicated middle aged man, "we are having fun"! No wonder there are numerous display of adverts of alcoholic beverages on our television and radio stations and these people are more than educated now. 

Surely, these adverts are contributing intensively to these behaviours exhibited by the youth of our time, coupled with lack of good parental care. Some of our parents are indisciplined themselves and having a corrupt mind so their offsprings pick up same character portraits as the saying in the Akan dialect goes, if a child does not resamble his mum, then the dad.

Under a huge dark tree as I was getting closer to the main town stood a group of young men, smoking cigarette and marijuana busily, and murmuring in groups of four or five. I realised these people do not care whoever comes or go for they did not chech who passed or came due to their busy talks and feeling "iy-re".

Is this the future our fathers' fought for? Is this the destiny of the unborn generation? Infact, our society today is"corrupt" and full of deviants. Discipline has been chased with heavy weapons such as disrespectfulness, truancy and streetism, fornication, drug addiction and many other social vices from the native Ghanaian community where the elderly did gather the younger ones and told heroic and Ananse stories to ginger their appetite in perceiving what is good and acceptable

The new media has now become a channel for educating people on preventing pregnancies through a thousand means and a million ways of enjoying yourself. It is about time the government and the National Media Commision put a  ban on these things and regulations guiding the duration inwhich some adverts are ran and how they should be ran as well as the minstry for civic education.

Our spiritual leaders must come in and intercede on behalf of this nation and the youth for God Almighty, to instill some fears in us that we may fear doing wrong because, some people found in our community are so much addicted to it that sitting down for twenty-four hours without doing wrong, becomes an abomination to the spirit that lives wihtin them else, Mother Ghana is doomed.  Let us all stand proud and stand tall to do something about this situation. God bless our Homeland Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment